LaserMax makes a laser sight system for most pistols. What is different about LaserMax is where the laser is located, and I have found this difference to be a great thing. Below is my review of the LaserMax weapon sight system.
Unlike most laser sights which attach to the accessory rail underneath the gun, the LaserMax system replaces the factory recoil spring and rod. This means that the LaserMax laser sight does not make the gun bulkier or significantly change its center of gravity. This means that your gun will fit into your holster just like any other gun. Another benefit of this arrangement is that it keeps the laser close to the barrel, which means the accuracy of the laser sight is higher, and the laser system itself is protected by the frame of the gun. The on/off switch is located on the take down lever, and pushing the switch in (from either side) is all that is needed to turn on the laser. Since your index finger should be held along the side of the handgun (over the take down lever) until you are ready to shoot, you can easily turn on the laser without changing your grip on the gun. Best of all, at least in my opinion, is the fact that the LaserMax system does not need aligning. I have used accessory rail mounted lasers in the past, and they tended to need frequent realignment, which was inconvenient even know I had a laser bore sighter to make the process easier. Worse yet, in a self defense gun, an inaccurately aligned laser can be a serious safety problem. This permanent, perfect alignment by itself would be enough to convince me to buy the LaserMax.
Summary of the Benefits of LaserMax laser sights, compared to laser sights which mount on the gun’s accessory rail:
• Compatible with all holsters and rail lights (Glock, SureFire, Insight, Springfield, etc.)
• Designed to avoid accidental discharge.
• More accurate since the laser and barrel are closer together.
• Deliberate on/off activation – no need to alter the way you grip your gun .
• Minimal vertical offset between barrel and laser beam.
• Pulsating beam is scientifically proven to increase visibility.
• Reliable for tens of thousands of rounds.
• User installed in minutes by field stripping – no gun smithing needed, & can be removed at anytime.
• Uses standard watch batteries.
• Sighted in at the factory – stays aligned, period.
For anyone considering a laser sight for this pistol, I would recommend the LaserMax without reservations. It costs a bit more than the CrimsonTrace laser grips or a rail mounted laser, but I think the premium in price is well worth it.
Join the NRA today and do your part to help preserve our gun rights (and save $10).