Below is an urgent action alert for the state of Iowa:
House File 2528 was introduced by the Iowa House and Senate Leadership. This NRA-backed bill would change Iowa from a “May-Issue” state to a “Shall-Issue” state. This legislation would require law enforcement to issue a permit to carry a concealed weapon to all applicants who meet the necessary criteria, without limiting them to narrowly-drawn disqualifiers. This pro-gun legislation would:
* Increase from 1-year to 5-years the validity of a carry permit;
* Narrow the disqualifying circumstances for a permit to the federal minimum in most cases, while further narrowing state-specific disqualifiers;
* Ensure that denials, suspensions, and revocations of permits would be subject to both administrative and judicial review;
* Protect personally-identifying information in permit applications from public disclosure;
* Allow Iowa to enter reciprocity agreements with other states for recognition of each other’s permits;
* Broaden the types of training that would fulfil the state-mandated training requirement for permit applicants;
HF 2528 has not yet been scheduled, but the Leadership is primed to fast-track this bill through the legislature. Iowa’s legislative session adjourns in a week, so it is vital that this bill gets your support NOW. The Senate has also prepared a companion bill which has not yet been named.
It is important that you contact your legislators NOW and respectfully urge them to support HF 2528 and its Senate companion bill. To find contact information for your legislator please click here.
Please continue to check your email and www.nraila.org for further updates on HF 2528.