As reported, 5 people were shot in Chicago’s Englewood neighborhood during a 24 hour period. All were shot with handguns, despite Chicago’s decades long, ineffective, and likely unconstitutional handgun ban.
- A 25-year-old man was shot twice, once in the neck and once in the left shoulder.
- A 23-year-old woman was shot once in the upper left thigh.
- Two brothers, 17 and 18, were shot Sunday at 1:17 a.m. at the intersection of West 69th Street and South Racine Avenue.
- Another attack left a person shot in the leg late Saturday at 10:30 p.m. at the 5900 block of South Racine Avenue.
- At 12:30 a.m Sunday a man was at 66th Street and South Peoria Avenue when he was shot in the wrist and buttocks
This is just more evidence of the fact that criminals ignore gun control laws, and will still be armed even where there is a decades old handgun ban in effect. Why some politicians believe that a person who is willing to risk a murder conviction will somehow be deterred by the prospect of much lesser gun possession conviction is something I simply can’t wrap my mind around. Nor do I see why these politicians believe that only they should be protected by guns.